If you are an avid DIYer then I am sure you have a lot of projects under your belt. There is a lot of self-satisfaction in creating your own things whether it is cup holders, pillows, or even picture frames. The following project on making DIY leather tassel keychains is definitely for you. I personally like tassel keychains. I think they give whatever they are attached to extra style and class. They can be placed on handbags, bookmarks, or even worn as a necklace. How about a pair of earrings or a bracelet. Below you will find an easy step by step instructions on how to make leather tassel keychains.
Leather is both an all-purpose as well as beautiful material to work with. You can get it in just about any color you want and use it for fashion accessories, furniture, and other home designs.
First, you need to assemble your tools and supplies.
- Cutting Mat or Cutting Board
- Glue Gun
- Tube Cutter
- Rotary Ruler or Omni grid Ruler
- Rotary Cutter
- Key Rings
- Copper Tubing (not required)
Leather pieces can be purchased at a craft or fabric store. If you cannot find what you want at either of these places, try thrift stores.
You do not need a lot of workspaces, but you want to be able to spread everything out neatly and in order. This makes creating easier and more fun. Let us begin.
- Start with a piece of leather cut 4-4.5” wide and 7” long.
- Lay the piece of leather on your cutting board or mat.
- Using your pencil, draw a line down 1”.
- Starting at that point, make cuts a 1/4” apart using your rotary cutter.
- Cut another piece of leather approximately 3” long and 1/4” wide.
- Slip it through your keyring, fold it in half and, and hot glue the ends.
- Glue this end to the top corner of your leather tassel.
- Starting with the keyring edge, roll the tassel hot gluing as you go.
You are all done. How is that for quick and painless? You can finish your leather tassel keychains by accenting the top with copper tubing, lace, beads, or whatever fancy material you wish to use. The possibilities are endless. I do not know about you, but I enjoy making these. Make them for yourself or for family and friends as stocking stuffers for the holidays or special occasions. Get really creative and personalize your keychains. Attach more than one leather tassel to one keychain for your own unique look. Once you start making these you might not be able to stop.
Here are some helpful tips for making your DIY leather tassel keychains.
- Not all leather is the same. Some are softer than others. Make sure the leather you are using for this project will allow you to make accurate cuts. You can try different leathers to see which one works best for you. In addition, if you are using faux leather, you will want to use a fine point blade. A deep point blade will better serve your purpose if you are working with real leather.
- Using a rotary cutter instead of scissors gives you better control and a more precise cut because you can apply more pressure to the leather.
- As mentioned above, you can use copper tubing to accent your keychains. If so, you can purchase the copper tubing and the cutter at any hardware store. If you do not want to cut the pieces yourself, they can be purchased already cut.
- Painter’s tape may be used at the top of your piece of cut leather for more precise 1/4” cuts.
- Instead of using a glue gun, you can substitute it for no-sew glue.
Lily owns her home decor business. She designs her products herself and done it by hand. She also teaches classes about it, personally and virtually.